EDCI339 - Blog

Topic 1: Privacy and Human-Centred Learning

https://www.pexels.com/@pixabay

The readings for this week offered insight into some interconnected concepts including Blended learning and the use of education technology and the privacy concerns associated with gathering student data.

In Beyond the LMS, it is asserted that learning management systems (LMS) were premature. Contrary to this claim, I believe that the LMS was ushered in at a time when learning was becoming more distributed and digitalized. As such, there was an obvious demand for a software tool that facilitated learning even in remote settings. I agree with the article that LMS failed to capitalize on its technological edge to improve the overall learning experience. In trying to mimic traditional classroom settings, LMS’s failed to translate the creativity of both instructors and learners through the software. I view this as a missed opportunity to harness technology to improve learning.

My “a-ha!” moment occurred when reading a statement in Beyond the LMS, “Digital pedagogy is not equivalent to teachers using digital tools. Rather, digital pedagogy demands that we think critically about our tools, demands that we reflect actively upon our own practice.” (Morris & Stommel, 2018). This statement cleared up a muddy concept – the difference between digital pedagogy and the use of digital tools. These are two distinct and yet interwoven concepts that need to be explored to properly evaluate the use of digital tools like LMS.

I agreed with the idea detailed in Community of Inquiry: “higher education is both a collaborative and an individually constructivist learning experience” (Vaughan et al., 2013). I was able to relate to this assertion because a university education has availed me the opportunity to ideate with peers and learn effectively from a bevy of perspectives. Consequently, this interaction with peers stimulates creative thinking and innovation. A community of inquiry provides a safe space where ideas are created, challenged, and supported. This space for discourse facilitates learning by developing individuals who can think for themselves and critically analyze the ideas they are presented with. The reading also introduced the concept of a teaching presence that is essential to blended learning. I agreed with the sentiment of rethinking how teaching is executed at a tertiary level because students have changed and new methods are required for teaching and learning. I also agree that in a community of inquiry, all students must assume the hat of a teaching presence at some point. Like an instructor, students should ensure that they have set expectations, are contributing to discourse and their community of learning is welcoming and safe for discourse.

Morris, S. M., & Stommel, J. (2018). An urgency of teachers: The work of critical digital pedagogy. Hybrid Pedagogy.

Regan, P. M., & Jesse, J. (2018). Ethical challenges of edtech, big data and PERSONALIZED learning: Twenty-first century STUDENT sorting and tracking. Ethics and Information Technology21(3), 167–179. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10676-018-9492-2

Vaughan, N. D., Garrison, D. R., & Cleveland-Innes, M. (2013). Teaching in blended learning environments: Creating and sustaining communities of inquiry. AU Press.

1. Ryan Banow August 9, 2021

Hi Samuel,
    Your post seems to hit on some really big ideas that resonated with you. You specifically mentioned that LMSes missed an opportunity. Do you have a vision of an ideal LMS? What would be a feature an LMS could have to further improve learning beyond what they can do today? Is this feature available in a more open tool?

• tsokwa August 10, 2021 — Post author

Hi, Ryan
      I think it’s hard to definitively describe an ideal LMS. For me, an ideal LMS would be interactive beyond just forums. There could even be a consideration for interactive activities like games. I believe this would stimulate learning beyond simply replicating traditional learning. I believe open tools provide some more room for exploration and discovery, something thats severely lacking in most LMSes